Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Survival Tips

Finally got my meds straightened out. You know...about 2 years ago I refused to take any medication! I had taken bladder meds and it made my bowels stop....and the hormone therapy is the suspected culprit for my PVC's.....So, I was at that point where I wanted to rid my system of all that junk, and see where I was at. I still refuse bladder meds.......My bowels hurt way to much to not have a bm everyday~ I know, I know...You really need to hear about my BMs, huh. But seriously........My bowels are very finicky...And I've learned the hard way how to do this. Well get back to this in a minute...First lets get back to the meds. So...here it is a couple years down the road.....and the top shelf of my bookcase now looks like a small pharmacy.

Current Meds are as follows:

*Metoprolol 25 mg 2x a day (For SVT~ fast heart rate)

*Amitriptyline 25 mg 1x a day (For Migraines, depression)

*Valium~ Diazepam 5mg...as needed for everything (muscle spasms, migraines, sleep, anxiety) I use about 10 pills a month...

*Levsin 0.125 mg~ as needed for bowel spams.....can't take them too often or bowels slow down

Recently started:

*Fludrocortisone (Florinef 0.1mg....still reading about this one..... used to treat Orthostatic intolerance)


Also use:

*Prelief for cutting the acid down in certain foods you eat.

*Tylnoel for headaches

*Mucinex DM for congestion~ doesn't interfere with heart rate!

*Abuterol inhaler used when needed.....seasonal


Other measures used to cope...

Diet! No fried food. No caffeine or NSAIDS. No cold drinks~ room temp is best. NO CITRIC ACID~ well at least try and avoid it! Fiber when needed~ stomach is so 'simple' a bowl of Raisin Bran can make it go either way. Lots and Lots...and then some more Fluids! Gatorade every day! Oh...and start each day with a glass of Carnation Instant breakfast...easy enough for my stomach to digest first thing in the morning, and I get a good dose of nutrients! Hot baths help with abdominal issues, but don't help the heart issues. Showers totally wear me out.....Laying down to catch my breathe after helps!


*And another key to survival is to have a good 'team' of doctors. I have been through my share of doctors....and I do believe I have finally found some really great people. Most of them are younger, they tend to think more out of the box then the older folks do. They don't work together..but are now linked up on there online system they have here. And they all send updated letters to my primary care doctor on a regular bases. I have been through a few PCP too before I finally found one that was willing to sit down and look at everything......and not insist that I was crazy. I guess it helps that I see a head doc to who agrees that I'm not 'Crazy'. I feel crazy some days....and there's some doctor out there that I'm sure will say I was crazy. I do tend to act a little off my rocker when people don't listen. Especially when they insist that I get psych help to then see my insides fall out 3 days later.....So, who's really the crazy one here? Me for knowing something was wrong....or them for not even bothering to look until it was in their face?! Yes I have some hang ups about that whole period in my life. I'd still like to wrap my fingers around a certain ladies neck and choke the stupidness right out of her! All I can say is Karma has a funny way of coming back around, doesn't it.


Well...I guess that's enough babbling for day.....Until next time!


OH Wait....One more thing.

Medical Records.....Start collecting your medical records now....I have probally 75% of mine.....and it helps. It helps you remember where you've been and what was done, said, ect. I have a master list of surgeries, with the date, procedure, hosipital, and surgeon written on it....Then I have another list of all the doctor appts, tests, ect. I have had since I was an adult. My childhood records are about an inch thick, in one of those orange military files, and you can barely read it....but I have it! My adult records stack up to be about 2 feet tall.......lol.

It's alot easier to show someone what your heart rate looks like than it is to try and explain it!

3 comments:

  1. I tried getting a copy of my records. Would cost over $100 in paper alone. That's mostly my childhood record. There's a law in MO that states the actual records cannot be turned over to the patient. But the patient is free to request a copy of those records for the price of the paper it uses to copy them. F@*^wads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walk in with a stack of white paper and say, here, use mine. You can get a whole box, 5000 sheets for $42.99 at staples! In my opinion that should cover the "costs of paper".

    Use the terminology to your advantage :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know what causes this medical problem, because it's probably a deficiency if it's not an actual physical injury or malady. I would see a nutritionist about a hair and saliva analysis. It could be something like a calcium deficiency... or you know their are 100's of things your body needs that you might be stripped of that bring this on. Handling and not curing things kind of keep you going around in circles with meds and pain. I would look into it or at least ask a nutritionist. I can recommend one of the best, Marie Pace in Lafayette Louisiana. You can do the test by mail and everything. She has all the supplements there and has tons of knowledge about how the body works and what brings on dysfunctions and so on.
    http://www.mariepace.com/
    I'd contact her and at least get her take on it.

    ReplyDelete