Sunday, April 19, 2009

The stages of Grief

When I started Counseling for the second time.....the first thing they taught me was about Grief and how when your diagnosed with an illness, that you will go through the same process.

I found this link which explains it a lot better than I could....
http://ibdcrohns.about.com/cs/mentalhealth/a/mourninghealth.htm

For me...here's where I'm at with each of these~

*Denial: I think I'm passed this, I know it's here to stay and that it is what it is........I wish people around me could get over this part, though!

*Anger: This I go through often! I'm still pissed at a few doctors.....I have big issues with religion over this...... and, well, I have people issues in general.

*Depression: OK, now who wouldn't be depressed.....I can't have the life I want, I have to settle for second best. Some days, I look at it as if this is as good as it gets. And other days I'm on some crazy mission to be something I'm not any more. I want more outta life than this...

*Bargaining: Yup! Still have days where I think I can run from it, but believe me....it always follows. lol!

*Acceptance: Funny thing is, I do accept this, I've been living it for over 10 years now....Again, I know, there will be good days and there will be bad days........I live for the good days. And yet another one of those things I wish people around me could do more of.

The first time I sought mental help.....I was still trying to play wonder woman. The doc I saw at the time spent many, many sessions trying to convince me to Slow down. She told me I needed to accept that this may be what it is, and that I was going to drive myself crazy trying to change it. I didn't listen to her....I still had a lot of drive left at the time, and I refused to accept this for what it was. I felt like I could change it! I needed to fix it! And then, I crashed and burned!!!

I can honestly say it is easier learning to live with it, then it is trying to fight it. Takes a lot less energy!

No comments:

Post a Comment