Monday, October 12, 2009

Update on that stitch

If you read my last post, You'll know that one of my stitches was giving me problems......so....I did my homework, looked online enough to learn what they are, and how long it should take for them to go away. And seeing as I have had mine for a little over a month, I figured it was time for it to go. First......let me gross you out and let you read part of what I read:

­http://health.howstuffworks.com/question611.htm
To your body, stitches are a foreign substance, and the body is programmed to destroy foreign substances. Dissolvable stitches are made from natural materials, such as processed collagen (animal intestines), silk and hair, ((OK, Now that's just nasty!!))as well as some synthetic materials that the body can break down. This allows the body to dissolve the stitches over time. Usually, by the time the stitches are dissolved, the wound is completely healed.

Occasionally, a stitch won't dissolve completely. This usually occurs when part of the stitch is left on the outside of the body. There, the body's fluids cannot dissolve and decompose the stitch, so it remains intact. A doctor can easily remove the remaining piece of stitch once the wound is closed.


So, first thing this morning, I called the dr. office and spoke with the nurse who told me to come on in, and she'd pull it out for me. So, off I went, was there all of 5 minutes........and she pulled most of it out, and cut it. She said that my body would either dissolve the rest of it, or it would push it out. Fun! I will say, my boob is a little sore, and the area is a little red. So I will keep me eye on it and see what it does. Time will tell, huh!

And while I'm here.......I've also been doing a lot of research on information I will need to make the final decision on hormones/verses surgery. I will say this I DO NOT want to go back on Lupron shots- it shuts down your cycle and throws you into a temporary menopause. I have to done 2 cycles of these in the past....and from what I've read, I should of only done one cycle. There's some more tests I want run.....for example, a simple blood test to check and see if I'm anemic. I know when you bleed internally, that it can cause problems, and I want to know if mine is causing this kinda problem. I also need to get a bone density test done to see where my levels are with that. With those 2 cycles of Injections, I was suppose to get tested and I never did, so I'd like to know where I'm at to see how much damage there is, and if I can handle any more damage. Am I making sense.....I sure hope so. See, this is what goes on in my head.......Questions, questions, questions. But, I have them all written down, actually they're typed up now.....And separated into 3 sections. One is general questions that any OBGYN could answer...another section for hard questions, that I think only the Professor Dr could answer, and another section for all those weird symptoms I'm having. I also have lots of little notes written in the margin. I want to make the best out of the time I get with these doctors so I can make a very informed decision as to what I want to do.

I do know this much. I really don't want to try hormone therapy again. It only post-pones the final decision, and there's no real benefit to taking it other than to hopefully shrink the cyst, and from what I've read it really isn't meant to be used for treatment of cysts. I'm really not ready to lose my only ovary, however......this thing hurts. And I truly believe that my bowels are somehow involved. And I'm really not trying to go through what I went through back when my insides came out. No one has been inside my abdomen since that surgery, and I'd be curious to know what kind of damage having that Foley balloon in my abdomen for a month could of done. I've got so many questions, my head hurts!!

So......until then I will keep trying to read every thing I can get my hands on. I want to make sure I am making the best choice! Well, the best choice for me that is!

OK....until next time:)

....Oh, and one more thing. I know a few of you out there have read my blogs enough to know that this surgery was number 18 for me. And yet, I've never had to have stitches taken out! This was a first for me, mine have always dissolved......and most of my surgeries were laproscopic, so my incision were really tiny. As they say, there's a first time for everything!!

No comments:

Post a Comment