Saturday, October 17, 2009

My Grandmother

My Mother called earlier today to tell me that my grandmother is not doing really well, and they have asked for the family to come. She had surgery on her bowels about a month ago, and never really fully recovered from the surgery. She's had colon cancer twice, and lived through that! But now that she's older, her body isn't holding up as well as we would like it to. My Mom has told me she will fly me out to California when I'm ready....but I told her, I should probably wait until Monday, and get a doctors clearance before I fly. I get really sick when flying, and I want to make sure I can handle that. Among everything else.

Grandma is 86, I think, and has been married to Grandpa for over sixty something years. And I don't think Grandpa knows how to deal with this.....he's always had her with him! It's so sad when you see older couples that have been together forever, lose one another. She's my Last living Grandmother.

....And I can't be there.....yet! Hopefully by the grace of God, this is just a hiccup in the road, and Grandma will be back to normal in no time, but I fear the worst. Time will tell........and until then, all I can do is wait.


**Update**
So time is starting to run together and I'm not sure where I last left off. But this is where we are at today. Mom called last night to tell me the doctor had been by and that Grandma was now in a coma. He told the family that she would probably pass on during the night...if not the next day. It is now Thursday the 22nd of Oct.....and because of the stupid time difference, I have to sit and wait another 3 hours before I can call my Mom. Not to mention the fact that I'm still waiting on the doctor to call. THAT has been one big mess!!

So, I was trying to get in and see the 2nd OBGYN, to get her opinion about the cyst....And then her Secretary called me Early Monday morning to tell me that she (The doctor) had the flu and would not be in the office that day. So then I called my PCP and made an appointment.......and while I was at that appt, I got him to run a few basic tests. They're checking my blood to make sure I'm not anemic....and they now have a stool sample to check for blood. However that was Tuesday...and the doctor told me he was going to call the 1st OBGYN to see what we could do to get my appointment moved up. And he said he'd either call me that afternoon or the next morning to let me know. And well....I'm still waiting. I'm guessing the blood work hasn't hit his desk yet, and considering that this is the beginning of flu season, they've been really busy.

Like I said..... I'm waiting........waiting for the doctor to call and tell me I'll be fine, so I can get on a plane and go be with my Mom before she breaks down. I know I've missed the opportunity to talk to Grandma, but I also know My Mom needs me there right now, even if she says she don't. I'm her only child......and she's my world!

Needless to say.....I am REALLY frustrated with things right now...and I just don't know what to do. Really, I am not trying to whine here about something that might seem so simple to someone else...I'm just not trying to cause anymore drama for the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment