Thursday, September 10, 2009

Dysautonomia, Body Temp and Surgery.

OK....So yesterday, when I had surgery, I was surprised to see that they have a new policy where they have to monitor your temperature during surgery. It's this little disk that has a sticky side that they put in your armpit, and it has a cord that attaches to their machine. I had no irritation with it, so that was nice. But here's the thing. I do remember waking up after surgery, still really 'high' and looking around the room. And I do believe I was reading the monitor that had the recordings from surgery.....and if I'm right, my temperature dropped to 91 degrees. I'm definitely going to have to see if I can't track those records down, cause I'm really interested in how a dysautonomia patient differs from a regular patient on the OR table. I know I have internal temperature issues.....and I've been told I sweat on the OR table. I also get the night sweats, and my under arms always seem wet.....and I've even tried prescription strength deodorants with no good results. I sweat if I'm too warm, and I sweat when I'm too cold. So, back to surgery........last night, I decided to do a little research on line to find out what happens with your temp when you have surgery, and I found that it does drop a degree or 2, but that's it. Anything under 95 was considered hypothermia~ feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

OK, so before I forget....the anesthesiologist knew what dysautonomia was!! I must say it was nice not to have to explain it.........


So here's my question......how do patients with dysautonomia differ from regular patients when they are on the OR table. Has anyone else ever experienced any of this? Have any doctors ever experienced other patients with dysautonomia doing that in the OR? I'm just curious to see how it works for other people.

On another note....I'm doing pretty good today. My breast doesn't hurt anymore than it did before surgery, so that's nice. And actually it probably hurts less now than it did before. Hence, that's why I went ahead with this, cause I'm tired of the pain it caused me. So hopefully, this is all signs of good news:)

No comments:

Post a Comment