Friday, September 24, 2010

Meet "The Records"

These are my medical records! The bottom binder has mostly everything... Surgeries, tests, doctor visits.... The next binder is my Heart medical records~ from the past 4 years. The next folder, the orange one is my military medical records from when I was a kid....They go up to about age 16. The blue folder is my notes and stuff. The next thin orange folder is my heart records from when I was a baby.... And the paper pack on top is the short version of my medical records and surgeries.


Yes! It's a lot! My Mom was smart enough when I was younger to hold on to the military records... And I have been gathering my records for about 6 years now. I recommend this to anyone. It's nice to have the answers to questions at my finger tips. It's nice to be able to pull out a records when a doctor wants to see them, or for when I'm telling them about a surgery, and they get that look in their eye that they don't believe me. It's nice to have this info at my finger tips, so when a doctor asks me a question, I can look it up. My memory is terrible, and I get confused easily.....I can't remember the last time I had a procedure done, or all the procedures I've had done for that matter. The only down side...... Is trying to carry them in the doctors office. LOL I normally only travel with the top 'paper pack'... the rest I leave at home.

But not this time. Tuesday I finally met with a Dysautonomia doc..... And I think this is gonna be good for me! Other than them running behind, the appointment went well. I had the most through exam I've ever had.....And October 1 I go back for a day of testing, Fun, huh!! I think there's gonna be blood work, EKG, response to temperature test, a breathing test, and something else that I can't remember right now. **I remember now... A skin biopsy! How could I forget about that?? LOL Then October 2nd, he wants me to stop all meds..... And well, It's gonna suck! I can't go a day without my heart meds. If I forget to take one at night, I definitely can feel it by the morning (actually most nights if I don't take my meds at a certain time, my heart is generally reminding me before I can go to bed)..... However they want me to come back in on the 8th for some more tests~ off my meds. I get it...... But I don't like it!!

So.... One problem they did find was with my eyes. They don't dilate very fast. So when I'm inside and go outside.... It's hurts my eyes...They water... and I can barely open them. It's always been like this.... That's why you can never find a picture of me with my eyes fully open in the sun...Actually I get joked over 'the faces I make'....LOL! I'll have to show you some of those, their funny! But it was nice that a doctor noticed it. Like I said, he was very detailed! He talked about my palpable thyroid and nodules... he noticed that I had breast surgery, and he even said he could feel a mass in each breast. Nice! ((I don't think they're anything to worry about...Just how it is with me.... but I guess I'll have to get that checked one day)) He inspected my mouth, talked about my gums....Which was kinda eerie for me....I don't like having people around my mouth....Hence why I haven't seen in a dentist in longer than I care to admit to.......'shivering from the thought of a dentist doing anything near my mouth!!' ...... And he was a nice guy! Didn't stress me out at all!! Woo Who!!! So....I'm back to waiting again, waiting for the first so they can poke and prod me and then waiting for the 8th so they can do it again! lol Fun, Fun!!

But I'm still smiling so all is well for now......
Right??

See ya Next Time:)

2 comments:

  1. Right! If you can still smile then all is good- it's scary when the smile goes away, don't ya think? I'm glad this doctor sounds so good Katie- you sure do deserve a good one that listens. I guess I won't feel so bad about my pile of papers I'm bringing to the doctor next week- I got mad and did about the same thing...went to the clinic and asked for my entire health history. No more one doc not knowing what the other doc is doing for me! I hope going off the meds isn't too bad- I'll be thinking of you for sure! If you need to scream at someone be sure to email me!! Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that same problem with my eyes! I have since long before I had any other POTS symptoms. I had my eyes dilated at the eyedoctor and my pupils were huge for like a week and a half. I had to wear sunglasses inside!

    Hope this doctor is good for you!

    ReplyDelete